I wish I had a before picture, but I'm sure you can imagine this lamp in wood, with a lampshade. It actually had a pink gingham shade, but I used a similar plain shade that I had as the base for my burlap project. First, I painted the base black, then distressed it pretty heavily with sand paper. Then, I used the original lamp shade to make a paper template for the fabric panels. I pinned the template to burlap and cut out four panels.
I pinned two panels together, matched them up to the real shade and used masking tape to mark where I needed to sew the seam.
Then, I just sewed right beside the seam. I was nervous about getting the curve right, but the masking tape worked great to guide me. I could've written on the fabric with chalk, but I'm glad I didn't, because what I thought would be the inside of the shade ended up being the outside.
After the panels were all attached, I put the shade on upside down to see if all the seams matched. It was then that I decided to leave it inside out for a rougher look. I mean, it's burlap, right? Doesn't get much scrappier than that. I decided to leave the white shade underneath and trimmed the excess flaps fabric down way shorter than what is shown here, but it still needed something.
I taped off a border around the top and bottom of the lamp.
Then I sewed a double "hem" around the top and a single around the bottom.
After this picture, all that was left to do was hot glue the top frays into the lampshade. I decided to leave the bottom scraggly. When I showed it to Ryan, I got more than the usual fake-pleased "Looks good:" (that's a half-exclamation mark, not a colon, fyi). He kind of looked at it weird, I'm sure trying to decide if I was going to turn it right side out or not. Then I got the feigned excitement. Oh well. I like it. And I'm sure Calvin does too. That boy wears at least one article of clothing inside out every day.
Linking up to Kammy's Korner: Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday