Monday, July 29, 2013

Chalk it up to Marital Discord


Yesterday, I blogged about my unending love for my wonderful, amazing husband. Today, I had a knock-down-drag-out with the jerk. It all started when I innocently came out to see if he was ready for lunch just when our entire flock of sheep snuck past him into our yard. I assumed he knew they were out since he was standing right by them. Well, you've probably heard what assuming does to people. And boy did it! Over the next hour or so, the following may or may not have happened (in no particular order) 

- All five family members managed to herd the sheep in nine different directions at least four times before they finally went through the gate. Some of us were giggling. Some of us were not.
- I yelled, “Just TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO AND STOP TALKING TO ME LIKE THAT!!!!!” loud enough that I’m sure the farmers, who were working at the neighboring barn, had to have heard.
- Max told me, “I want you to talk nice.”
- Ryan called me a stupid idiot who doesn’t know anything about animals (well, that’s from the QTV* translation, but it's the most reliable version I'm told)
- I illustrated my animal shepherding logic on a chalkboard to prove that I was NOT a stupid idiot. (If you look closely through the kid-scribbles, you'll see my "strength in numbers" theory being explained with vigorously-drawn arrows)


- I admitted that I HATE animals, and that I always have and always will.
- I asked Reed, “Do you REALLY want to talk to me right now? Really!?” when he started to tell me a story about ___(I don't even know. Insert stupid boy obsession here)______.

We finally cooled down and life went on. Right now, Ryan's kayaking with some friends. I'm sitting on the porch enjoying the 70 degree July weather.The big boys are jumping on the trampoline and play "block the frisbee," which is really just a version of fetch wherein Max is the dog. 




The time apart is precisely what we all need. Summer togetherness is a double-edged sword. 

Just a few minutes ago, though, I was doing "combinations" on the tramp with the scamps. Calvin's combination provided the comic relief we all needed, even though the fight has long been over. His combination was, "Something from real today:"
- Sheep getting away (crawls exaggeratedly across trampoline). 
- Dad yelling for help - (HEY! GET OVER HERE! in manly, slightly disgruntled voice)
- Momma sheep knocking over baby sheep (whacks and rolls)
- Baby sheep gets up and runs (more animated crawling, this time with cute baby sound effects)
- Mom writing on the chalkboard (scribbles in the air and shakes head vigorously)

We had a lot of fun performing that combination! And I can't wait until Daddy gets home so I can tell him about it, and we can have a laugh together!  


*Queen Tobi Version

1 comment:

Deborah Raney said...

Ah, yes, the QTV. I know that one. And the QDV (Queen Deborah Version, in case you're a stupid idiot and didn't get that.)

LOVED these two posts back to back. SO what life is really like. Love and adoration one minute; bare tolerance the next. But it all evens out just right and the hard times make you appreciate the amazing times all the more.