Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Infamous Chalkboard





I gave a little peek at my chalkboard in my last post, but I don't think I did it justice. It's one of 1,000 pins that I hoped to move from my boards to my house this summer. And it's one of about 10 that I actually did (and let's not get too proud of me - one of my 10 accomplished pins was using a bread clip to fix a flip flop...)

I've actually been dreaming of the idea of converting our crib to an easel since I saw this pin. Max was still comfy in his crib, but I was itching to kick him out. So I did. And then we fought the Bedtime Wars of 2012 forever and the crib parts took up all kinds of room in our house because I never made the easel. I did use the headboard of the crib as a barrier to trap him in his room at night after he conquered the baby gate (I still had to reinforce with two HEAVY chairs or he would squeeze out!) And I finally got around to painting with chalkboard paint, so the kiddos did use them before I finally completed the project. And here's how I (finally) did it:

Take apart crib. This was, by far, the hardest part of the process. You have to remove hardware except for a piece at the base where you will attach a chain. It was a puzzle to figure out how to take it apart. Then, there were two or three stripped out screws that I blame for the 6-month delay. I tried. I failed. I gave up for 6 months. Then, I got mad and wrenched them out with pliers. Well, I got mad and had my husband wrench them out, but still...


Tape off border and paint inside panel with chalkboard paint.


Lay the headboard/footboard upside down and top to top. Attach with a hinge (more would be sturdier, but I couldn't make it work with the curved top).


Realize you installed the hinge backwards. Smack forehead. Remove and redo.


Use chain (I found it in the swing set area of the home improvement store, but I think it was for bird feeders or something - smaller-sized links) to connect the base of each part. This will keep the chalkboard from laying out flat.


That's it! Now you have a cute and memory-evoking chalkboard easel for you to illustrate points on during arguments with your husband your kids to scribble on.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea!! My little one is still in his crib and, unfortunately, its one that converts to a daybed so won't be able to use it anytime soon (insert sad face here)-haha. BUT...this might be worth checking out some thrift shops for :) Very cool idea and it looks great!! I saw your link over at Kammy's Corner and wanted to personally invite you to my very first linky party that I am hosting - Tute's Tuesdays at UpcycledAntiques.com. This is my first time hosting so advice would be greatly appreciated! I hope to see you at the party! ;) Again, I LOVE the chalkboard idea out of the crib panel. I cant wait to try it!