Thursday, July 12, 2012

Apple Chris


Our apple tree is going insane in the membrane this year. I have four 5-gallon buckets’ worth scattered around my kitchen counters (and floor) right now and there will probably be another bucketful to pick up tomorrow. But our first harvest only gleaned a grocery sack or two.  So, the boys and I were so excited to have enough for Calvin’s favorite: “apple chris.” I made one and we gobbled it up in a couple days. In those couple of days, the tree dropped  more treasures. At first I was being all Conservation Cathy and picking up every apple that was at all salvageable. Then one day, we filled a 5-gallon bucket, a grocery sack, AND my shirt with good apples. I decided from that point to get a little pickier about which apples were good and which were goat food. Calvin was worried, though, when I told him to throw slightly marred apples in the “bad” bucket. “But we might not have enough for another apple chris!” Check out the kitchen floor. I think we’re gonna be all right, bud…

Here’s the recipe. This is another one that I don’t really follow amounts on (such a kitchen rebel I’ve become!) because I don’t really think you can get it wrong.

Apple Crisp

-          Buttload of apples (I know where you can get some!)
-          Brown sugar
-          Cinnamon
-          Lemon juice or Fruit Fresh powder (it’s citric acid, I think)


Cut apples into thin slices. You can peel them, but I don’t bother. It takes half the time, is a little more nutrient-rich, and tastes just as good. I usually fill up my 8-cup measuring bowl with apples, but more or less works just as well. Sprinkle slices with Fruit Fresh or lemon juice periodically. Add a healthy scoop of brown sugar and some cinnamon to the apples and stir. Butter a pan and dump the apple mixture in. Top with a mixture of:

-          Flour
-          Sugar
-          Oatmeal
-          Butter, cut into mixture

The recipe I found calls for 1/3 cup of each powder. Weak! I put in a cup each. If I don’t, somebody will gripe that they didn’t get enough of the crunchy stuff and try to steal mine. I. Don't. Think. So. I also triple the butter amount from 4 to 12 tablespoons (Come to Mama!) I’m sure you could do with less if you want to be all healthy and stuff, but my chris will be better than yours, so there!

No comments: